Philippines to proceed with UN arbitration over South China Sea

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

MANILA — The Philippines will proceed with its legal case against China at the United Nations tribunal over Manila’s claims to parts of the disputed South China Sea, despite pressure from Beijing to delay or drop the case, lawyers for the Philippines’ legal team said yesterday.

Manila is seeking a ruling to confirm its rights to exploit the waters in its 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zone (EEZ) as allowed under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), its team of United States and British lawyers said.

It is set to file a formal pleading tomorrow, meeting a March 30 deadline set by the UN arbitral tribunal, said the head of the Philippines’ legal team, Mr Paul Reichler at US law firm Foley Hoag. Manila had filed an initial complaint in January last year.

Read more: http://m.todayonline.com/world/asia/philippines-proceed-un-arbitration-over-south-china-sea

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail