12 February 2016
COMMISSION ON ELECTIONS
Palacio del Gobernador General Luna Street Intramuros, Manila 1002
- Chairman Andres D. Bautista
- Comm. Christian Robert S. Lim
- Comm. Al A. Parreño
- Comm. Luie Tito F. Guia
- Comm. Arthur D. Lim
- Comm. Ma. Rowena Amelia V. Guanzon
- Comm. Sheriff M. Abas
Subject . Debate of Presidential Candidates
The Institute for Maritime & Ocean Affairs, Inc. (“IMOA”) is a private, non-stock, non-profit organization engaged in conducting research, studies and fora on maritime and ocean affairs of the Philippines, and disseminating information thereon through various media, including the hosting of a website (www.imoa.ph) for this purpose, for general information, advocacy and educational purposes. IMOA aims to reach and engage the public, and encourage wider participation in the shaping of public opinion, national policy and Strategy.
IMOA, therefore, strongly supports the plan of the COMELEC to organize debates and public discussions which will allow the Filipino people to get to know the candidates and make informed choices in the coming Presidential Elections in May 2016.
We would like to suggest the following questions for the presidential candidates:
- If elected President, and the arbitration case against China had not yet been decided, will you continue with the case or will you withdraw it?
- If elected President, and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) tribunal had already struck down China’s 9-dashed lines as illegal under international law, will you still enter into a joint development with China in the Reed Bank? If yes, under what conditions?
- If elected President, and the Philippines had already lost the arbitration case, will you enter into a joint development with China in the Reed Bank? If yes, under what conditions?
We shall appreciate your favorable action on this matter. Thank you.
Very truly yours,
Institute for Maritime and Ocean Affairs, Inc.
Elma Christine Leogardo