U.S. stopped China’s plan to build on Scarborough

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

MANILA, Philippines – China was set last year to build on Scarborough Shoal but the US was able to stop the plan, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana revealed on Thursday, March 9.

“There was a plan by the Chinese in June to reclaim Scarborough Shoal. We received a report from the Americans that there were barges already loaded with soil and construction materials going to the Scarborough Shoal. But the Americans, I think, told the Chinese, ‘Don’t do it.’ For some reason, the Chinese stopped,” Lorenzana said.

Manila publicly protested the presence of Chinese ships near the disputed shoal off the coast of Zambales province even as the country was at that time forging warmer ties with the Asian military superpower.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/163695-us-stopped-china-plan-scarborough-shoal

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail